Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Trip to Pawtucket, RI

Paws
August 5 – Today we went to Pawtucket, RI.  Bill coached the manager of the Pawtucket Sox, farm team of the Red Sox, and they were playing the farm club of the Indians.  We didn’t have to leave early he just wanted time to watch warm ups and batting practice.  His contact, Bruce Crabbe, got him 4 tickets right behind the batter’s box since he didn’t know if he’d be alone or with me and others.  I dropped him off in front of the stadium which he said was a really nice stadium and they had a good crowd as it was some promo of kids day.

Slater Mill
I made my way to the Visitor Center in Pawtucket with some degree of difficulty.  I put the directions in my phone and according to AAA it was at Slater Mill.  I arrived at Slater Mill and went right to the parking lot.  There were signs about the Blackstone River Valley Heritage Center, which was what I was looking for, but there was construction going on and I didn’t see an entrance or people to ask.  I just walked around and finally found a lady giving a tour and she directed me to the building under construction as the Visitor Center so I went.  The girl at the desk had no clue about the passport stamp I was in search of and made a call.  She told me I was at the wrong visitor center, to go across the street.  I made the girl come to the door and point to where as I wasn’t clear on where across the street was.  Well, that was a waste as where she pointed was an electrical place so I went in to the Pawtucket Police Station next to the parking lot and the nice officer there came outside and pointed to a bus stop at the corner and that the building behind the bus was the Visitor
One of the original homes still on the site
Center.  She said the entrance is behind the bus.  I just left my car where it was and walked down and the doors she directed me to were locked.  A girl sitting in the entry said to go to the front of the building.  Well, by now I really needed a bathroom too so I scurried around to the front and it was to the entire building, not just the visitor center and there was a sign posted that the restrooms were not open until 10.  Since it was well after 10 I didn’t worry, but the ones there in the lobby were locked.  Geez!  Straight ahead was the Visitor Center I was in search of and I made a hasty trip to their restrooms.  As I came out I saw there was another door coming from the side I walked from adjacent to their parking lot!  Oh well, I enjoyed their timeline display about the settling of the area and development of mills and their impact on the Blackwater River, the  source of power for the multitude of mills that sprung up.  They also had a very well done movie.  The lady on duty was very nice and provided more literature than I needed but I did get my passport stamp.  I had planned to go to another town, Woonsocket for a stamp but she said it was the same one so it saved me a trip.

I decided to see how close I was to a Staples to check on a laptop they had on sale that I thought might be a better choice for Bill than the one we bought last week.  It was only a few miles up the road so I headed there.  Kam called as I pulled in and we caught up on things.   I did buy the laptop since it had Windows 7 instead of 8 or 8.1.  Now we have to take the other one back but it’s not been out of the box so should be no problem.  Bill called to let me know what inning the game was in and I was getting close on time so I went through the McDonald’s drive thru for a salad and headed back to the park.  I knew there was a restaurant across the street from the park and wagered I could get a spot there and eat until he came out.  Luckily there was ONE spot and I was concerned I would get in trouble but I just sat and ate and all was well.  I texted Bill I was there and he came out shortly after I finished.  We both were in dire need of something sweet so we went to a Burger King I passed.  We tried their frappuccino and it was nasty!  No comparison to McD’s.  Disappointing but now we know better.
In Rhode Island

With no other plans for the area we headed home.  Since we filled up on the way in there was no need for a fuel stop.  We stopped on Rt 101 at the highest elevation point in RI.  I did need a couple things at the grocery and Target so we stopped in Dayville as we exited the interstate.  It was a quiet evening and not such a long day as we normally have when we head off.

No comments:

Post a Comment