Thursday, August 21, 2014

Some local visits

August 21 – I thought I’d sleep in but woke at 8.  I left Bill in bed while I slowly woke up and came alive.  We were off again but knew we weren’t going to take off today all day again.  After breakfast Bill went out to do some car cleaning and I did 2 loads of laundry and the floors.  I worked some on my blog and photos.  I made a peach crisp today.  The blueberries are on the way out so time to start on peaches.

Nathaniel Lyons Grave
After lunch we decided to finally after 3 months, to visit the Natchaug State Forest right next door to us.  I have been told that there are a couple of live beaver dams there.  First we stopped at an old cemetery where Nathanial Lyon, the first Union General killed in the Civil War is buried.  Upon entering the forest the first thing we came to was the 3 sided fireplace/chimney, the only part left of Lyon’s birthplace.  It is pretty unique with bread baking ovens in one side with the big fireplace and fireplaces on 2 more sides.  I would love to have seen it in a house. 

We stopped at the park headquarters and got a map
One side of the chimney
and some directions.  We stopped at both dam sites but there was no activity.  The ranger said they are very active at dawn and dusk.  We thought we’d go back tonight at dusk.  We just followed some roads and didn’t go back the way we came.  We stopped at a roadside stand and bought Bill some maple syrup.  We ended up on Rt 6 heading into Willimantic.  We stopped for ice cream and they had an old apple tree and some fell while we ate.  I asked if they cared if I picked up the apples and they gave me a bag.


I made fried apples from what I could salvage of the apples to go with some roasted squash and a baked chicken breast for dinner.  By the time dinner was over it was getting close to dark so we hurried to take our mile walk.  Then we remembered we wanted to go to the beaver dam.  Maybe another night!  I posted a blog and did more typing and catching up on some email.

No comments:

Post a Comment